The comics and graphic novels set in the world of QUANTUM MORTIS
By BHVultaan
Wardogs, Inc. #1 cover art.
Image Link to larger image at Amazon page.

What worked and what didn't work on:
1. Line art
2. Coloring

Looking for helpful criticism. Let's discuss. You're helping me work out my lesser drawings before they appear on paper.

Thanks!
Last edited by BHVultaan on Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
By E Deploribus Unum
Easier to tell from the preview cover on Amazon (which blows up) than this thumbnail if others are going to comment, but I'll take a crack.

I actually really like the coloring, moving from the cold blues at the top to the warm reds below. The armor looks suitably reflective - nicely done in picking up the reds from the surroundings and building them into the reflections. I might have left the hard linework off the force blasts and trails of the two ships or drones overhead. The big purple-brown explosions in front of them work better without hard lines around them, and it makes little sense that something behind them in our viewing space would be so clearly delineated. (For all the time I took to explain that, it is a very small quibble, really.)

As for your overall style, I find it perfectly adequate. Your perspective and foreshortening are solid. The inking reminds me a little of Al Milgrom, but maybe that's more the subject matter and a faulty memory. I don't notice a strong, identifiable personal style, but that may develop depending on how much time you're able to devote to this and how familiar we get with your work.

Overall, I'd say a great start. It's a strong image and an ideal cover for this sort of thing. Lots of action.
By BHVultaan
E, thanks for the detailed critique! (Added the link to Amazon for viewing the larger image -- good call!)

1.) I will pass your praise of the chromatic works on to the colorist--he'll be glad to hear it!

2.) Understood about outlines, and I'll also pass this to the colorist for consideration on upcoming works.

3.) Thanks for the comparison of my inks to Milgrom, though I don't think I'm in his league -- some day though. My style is developing (again), so we'll see what emerges as a strong influence.

Again, I greatly appreciate your review and recommendations.
By E Deploribus Unum
My brother was a huge ROM, Spaceknight fan in our youth, hence the Milgrom memories. I bagged a bunch of those issues. Looking forward to seeing your work on many covers/interiors as you are able.
By E Deploribus Unum
Oh my goodness, I remember now: Sal Buscema was the penciller. Your work seriously reminds me of Sal. That is a compliment, not a critique. 1979-80, if I remember correctly. Frightening! May your career be as long and venerable as Sal's.
By BHVultaan
Significant compliment, compared to one the Buscemas! I'll strive to be worthy of it. Thanks, E!
By 0n 2s
Looks great! The only criticism I have is the discharge of all the weapons are the same color. Mixing it up a bit may make things "pop" more.
By BHVultaan
0n 2s, thanks for the input. I'll pass this thought on to the colorist.
By SilentDraco
The coloring and flashes are well done on the armor. Reflections appear where you'd expect them, and trace to the correct weapon and angle. Good attention to detail by the artist and the penciller. Most of the hand blasters or rays will be about the same power, so some minor differences between suits can happen with subtle palette shifts. A blaster rifle should be a higher color (higher frequency, more power), heading toward green or blue color. There's an easy-to-get laser line in green-blue boundary that's perfect for this.

The cover pulls you right into the story, with a low camera look at a charging squad. Great way to grab the reader's attention and make them want to open the cover.
By BHVultaan
SilentDraco wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:33 am
The coloring and flashes are well done on the armor. Reflections appear where you'd expect them, and trace to the correct weapon and angle. Good attention to detail by the artist and the penciller. Most of the hand blasters or rays will be about the same power, so some minor differences between suits can happen with subtle palette shifts. A blaster rifle should be a higher color (higher frequency, more power), heading toward green or blue color. There's an easy-to-get laser line in green-blue boundary that's perfect for this.
He-Ne laser lines are *always* a good go-to. Standard green (~530 nm) lasers will be around for a while, and IRL the blues (~450 nm) are becoming more popular. (See FAA lasing incidents.) Again, more information that I'll pass to our colorist. Thanks!
The cover pulls you right into the story, with a low camera look at a charging squad. Great way to grab the reader's attention and make them want to open the cover.
Good. That was the effect I shot for, and glad to see it worked for you!

Thanks for the feedback, SilentDraco!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]