Discussion about the Alt★Hero series of comics and graphic novels.
By E Deploribus Unum
Summer95 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:06 am
The use of duplicated panels struck me as a slight weakness. It wasn't so bad on page 10 along the bottom, but on page 13 it really dominated. I was wondering if it would've been fairly easy to at least adjust the arms or something, from panel to panel, but maybe small changes like that entail more work than I imagine.
The whole "duplicated panel" technique is a comics trope going back at least as far as the 80's. Dave Gibbons used it extensively in Watchmen, and it's been a thing ever since. It's not that the artist can't redraw this or that, so much as the technique is a bit of a homage, so why would you? I'm so used to it I barely notice it, and Richard Bonk has probably absorbed it as part of his basic comics training.
By Dave
Summer95 wrote:
Talking of panels, I really noticed the absence of diagonal lines. Panels were almost all rectangular, which I think is the main reason I found the layout less engaging than in issue 2. Less dynamic, and certainly less varied. So I do hope diagonals make a return next time. Come to think of it, diagonals could also improve the situation with duplicated artwork couldn't they? Namely in giving different panel shapes at least.

Interesting; might be artist intuition for any particular volume.

Summer95 wrote:
It was good to get a better look at Kat, who's sporting a new hairstyle. Bye-bye green, hello pink and blonde! A definite improvement I'd say, but I wonder what the reason for the change was. Also, would that have been the decision of the artist or the colorist, or what? Anyone know how these sorts of things work?

I've found I'm better off not inquiring as to why a woman changed her hair. Perhaps it will change for each appearance. ;)
By Summer95
E Deploribus Unum wrote: The whole "duplicated panel" technique is a comics trope going back at least as far as the 80's. Dave Gibbons used it extensively in Watchmen, and it's been a thing ever since.
Ah, that's interesting, thanks. I'd always assumed duplication was just a labour saving device. I hadn't heard of this homage aspect. I guess I can sort of understand it, putting myself in the mind of a full-on comics geek who has some reverence for the artist you mention. It doesn't really change my reaction though. Duplication is still going to make a page less visually appealing to me.

Briefly OT, was Gibbons' panel duplication a labour saving device or a stylistic choice? I'm wondering what the reaction to it was.
Dave wrote: I've found I'm better off not inquiring as to why a woman changed her hair. Perhaps it will change for each appearance.
Given that she can go invisible, maybe she can do hair colour changing too!
By E Deploribus Unum
Summer95 wrote:
Yes, very nice at the top of page 9, with Rebel's mum being led to a car. She seemed remarkably forgiving when released later, but I guess she really liked the hotel!
Not to mention that her hubby (if that's not a Nate analog I'll eat my hat) was remarkably relaxed about the whole thing, and being a sensible woman, she took her cue from him.
By E Deploribus Unum
Summer95 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:02 am
Briefly OT, was Gibbons' panel duplication a labour saving device or a stylistic choice? I'm wondering what the reaction to it was.
I can't tell you what the reaction was, except that a bunch of artists have religiously copied it ever since. But I suspect it was no labor-saving device, but rather a neat style trick. Gibbons (Judge Dredd) is one of the most prolific artists the UK ever produced, and if he thought each panel deserved a unique treatment, he'd absolutely do it.
By Summer95
E Deploribus Unum wrote: But I suspect it was no labor-saving device, but rather a neat style trick. Gibbons (Judge Dredd) is one of the most prolific artists the UK ever produced, and if he thought each panel deserved a unique treatment, he'd absolutely do it.
British eh? Ok, thanks.
By SilentDraco
The duplicated panels on pages 10 and 13 look like a compromise between artwork and keeping the story flowing. Different panels might be better, but in those settings the dialogue predominates with limited or little movement. Large panels with more dialogue bubbles would distract and detract from the effect.

Rebel's mother? They must ALWAYS be on guard now. After being kidnapped or detained, when a Southern Lady speaks that kindly, she's forgiven you ... but you may want to politely ask about the penance she has in mind first, before turning your back. Beg for the quick death.

I like the scale-up in the reprisal. Without causing casualties, the underground made a solid, subtle point that families are either off limits or fair game for everyone. The SPC leadership seems to get the point, when the bayonet is placed at their throats instead. Well written and paced. The artwork keeps getting better and amplifies the story more.
By Starboard
E Deploribus Unum wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:16 pm
Summer95 wrote:
Yes, very nice at the top of page 9, with Rebel's mum being led to a car. She seemed remarkably forgiving when released later, but I guess she really liked the hotel!
Not to mention that her hubby (if that's not a Nate analog I'll eat my hat) was remarkably relaxed about the whole thing, and being a sensible woman, she took her cue from him.
I love their calm in the face of obvious intimidation. Turning the confinement into a spa day, and football and beer was a nice touch. They are not cowering push-overs. No safe spaces or fainting couches necessary.
By E Deploribus Unum
Ah, physical copies! Very happy to see #3 has already sold out of gold logo editions. (Excuse the reflection.)
Attachments
IMG_1682.JPG
IMG_1682.JPG (114.82 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]