The forums for Dark Legion Comics
By SilentDraco
Time to catch up, now that my reading backlog is reduced. The Baron von Monocle series and Flying Sparks were on my list. JDA writes a pretty tight story, and does real romance and adult interactions well.
By E Deploribus Unum
SilentDraco wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 pm
Time to catch up, now that my reading backlog is reduced. The Baron von Monocle series and Flying Sparks were on my list. JDA writes a pretty tight story, and does real romance and adult interactions well.
He really does. His relationship stuff, platonic or sexual, is quite strong.
By SilentDraco
I ordered Flying Sparks and Meta-Man, along with a nonfiction book. Enjoyed them both. The artwork is very good, looks like Silver Age line work and colors, VERY good character drawing, natural poses and 'impact consequences' for injuries. she's a bit of a Mary Sue, but literally gets some of it knocked out of her , after she accepted the risk of a villain above her fight class. JDA writes a very good story line, with some good action and intrigue to match a well-crafted doubly hidden romance. I image a lot different kind of sparks will fly when they meet on hero 'business'. There's good, solid help and support from their friends (supporting characters). Meta-Man adds some very nice plot twists in the prequel, and was full of action and pathos.
By E Deploribus Unum
Jon does some unexpected things I quite liked: Metaman blowing off Nixon's photo request, for one; and that ending I probably shouldn't spoil. I'm not quite as gung-ho about Mike Abuan's art as Jethro's, but it's perfectly serviceable. Good show overall.
By E Deploribus Unum
Just got a my digital download of the second volume of Jon's ongoing Flying Sparks series with Jethro Morales. Jon's Ember War is an Arkhaven product, but the first Flying Sparks graphic novel was a Dark Legion imprint, so I'll review it here rather than there.

We start with a decent-but-not-particularly-revealing cover by Gary Shipman. It's Chloe's on-and-off mobbed-up boyfriend Johnny shooting and being shot at with some sort of light burst, which I guess we're supposed to figure is an off-panel Chloe. I'd like to see Jethro doing the covers, frankly. He's terrific at composition and drawing you in with a single, memorable image -- and while it's nice to get a special edition occasionally with a cover by a guest artist, this is really his baby. There is a second cover by yet another artist (Meta-Girl this time). This is followed by 71 pages of solid storytelling and characterization, more than a little romance and the occasional unexpected blood-and-guts moment, all beautifully rendered by Jethro (his inks are especially nice here -- unhurried and, I think, all his), and pleasingly colored by Sanju Nivangune. I won't spoil the storyline, but it comes to three 22- or 23-page issues total; a nice value if Dark Legion sells it at the same price as the first volume, and well worth picking up.

I should mention supporting this came with a bunch of bonus 'stretch goals extras' available for download. The Jon stories include a six-page Meta-Girl origin tale (Jethro art, I think, though I don't see any credit); a six-page Meta-Girl and Dynamite Thor story (more panels, but the art is a bit sub-standard); an 8-pager by Jon and Jethro of Hannah (from Flying Sparks) trying to land a man (that one's a little cutesy, but very nicely drawn); and finally, a 24-page solo Dynamite Thor story with passable art by Donald Kent. Jon is developing his Flying Sparks shared universe and I am sufficiently intrigued to want to collect everything. (Hopefully the Jethro shorts will show up in the back of some future Sparks graphic novel installment, or perhaps rate a stand-alone printing when a sufficient number of these accumulate. I'm a physical-copy completist: digital just doesn't get it done for me.)

In addition to Jon's work, there are a few downloadable teasers from other writer/artist combinations. The prize among these is a Punchline story from Antarctic Press. Lovely art by Matthew Weldon and a decent script by Bill Williams. I am familiar with neither, but that's my loss. Best of all, Vox quietly allowed Jon to slip in Kindle versions of Alt-Hero #1 and Chuck Dixon's Avalon #1. What a great idea to draw in new fans!

I had originally entertained the idea of just picking up the graphic novel after the fact, but now I'm glad I opted to support the crowdfunding effort up front. Jon and Jethro deliver on-time, high-quality comics with added value to boot. Great work, guys!
By SilentDraco
I'm also glad I supported the effort, instead of waiting. This is another very good product from Jon Del Arroz. The story arc is traditional but good work, with romance, action, and an elusive character winding through it. Life is not easy for a young superheroine when she her boyfriend are at wits' ends, and may also be on opposing sides of the law. The unexpected collision at some point will truly make sparks fly.

The artwork and coloring are very good, and Jethro frames the story very well. Jon D. does some nice storytelling with a number of twists. It's more romance that I expect in a comic book, but it fits well with Jon's writing patterns and it makes a somewhat subtle slap in the SJW faces: your superheroine can be pretty, can have a boyfriend she loves and argues with, and can have complications from being a hero.

I was also blown away by the size and variety of the stretch goal package. I need to sort through and see where to begin reading.
By E Deploribus Unum
SilentDraco wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:43 am
I was also blown away by the size and variety of the stretch goal package. I need to sort through and see where to begin reading.
I binged on the first day.

One thing about Jon's writing is that the heavy emphasis on relationships makes it likely more marketable to girls than Vox's or Chuck's. I suspect my daughter would like it.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]